Personal Injury Attorney Charleston SC | The Steps to A Personal Injury Lawsuit
Personal Injury Attorney Charleston SC | You’ve been injured, have received medical attention, and are now ready to get on the path to getting compensation and damages, but knowing where to start can be tough. A personal injury attorney in Charleston is the best place to start, especially if your damages are more than $5,000 and your case can’t be heard in a small claims court. Your personal injury attorney in Charleston will be able to guide you through the exact steps they will take to get you compensated, but here is an overview of what most people can expect:
- Prove Legitimacy- The first thing your lawyer will make you do is to prove your case is legitimate. You’ll need to be prepared to give your lawyer your medical records, police records, and any other documentation you have regarding the injuries.
- Filing the Complaint- The first thing your personal injury attorney in Charleston will do is file a complaint. The complaint will detail what the plaintiff claims happened and have a demand for compensation.
- Serving the Defendant- The person who caused your injury will need to be served. Most attorneys get one month to locate and serve the defendant. The complaint will most likely be served through the local sheriff’s department or those hired by the courts to serve petitions and court filings.
- Pre-Trial Litigation- The defendant will most likely also hire an attorney, and litigation will begin. Your personal injury attorney in Charleston may file more complaints or petitions, may motion for discovery, or take depositions. Trials dates will be set, and you may have mediation or arbitration to consider for a case settlement.
- Trial or Settlement- When both lawyers are through with litigation, the case will either go to a trial before a judge or the parties may choose to settle outside of court. Your personal injury attorney in Charleston will help you decide which path is best for you to take.
When you’re ready to talk about your personal injury claim, call the Law Offices of Peter David Brown, P.A., at 843-806-0899.